Close Combat III: The Russian Front was the third installment of the World War II real time strategy game created by Atomic Games. Published by Microsoft and released in January 1999, Close Combat III takes place during the entire Russian Front of World War II. This was my first game to work on and my main duties were net and tools programming. I converted present engine networking system from Winsock TCP/IP to Microsoft DirectPlay v6. This included being able to launch from an Internet lobby, like Microsoft’s Internet Gaming Zone as well as optimizing game packets so that only current information that had changed was sent. At the beginning of the project, I was responsible for converting several tools from the Macintosh platform to the Windows platform. Including the map generation tool, which allowed the artists to define what each section of the pre-rendered map is for the game system.
Answer a Call To Arms
Command a fire brigade of soldiers on the Russian Front in this real-time strategy game set in World War II featuring unequalled detail, realism, and scope. Play as either the Soviets or Germans as you orchestrate your squads’ attack, defense, and survival over four grueling years of the grandest and bloodiest war the world has ever seen. To succeed, you must guide your men through the mortal dangers of war while physically and psychologically defeating your enemies. Your soldiers are counting on you. Don’t let them down!
- Command the same men throughout the entire four-year campaign – from the initial German Invasion of Operation Barbarossa, to the pivotal Russian victories at Moscow, Stalingrad, Kursk, and Berlin. Or rewrite a chapter of history by rallying your German troops to take Red Square.
- Over 300 specialized squads – 100 weapons, 60 soldier types, and 80 distinct vehicles and antitank guns. Includes 120mm mortars, flamethrowers, rocket launchers, half-tracks, and off-map heavy artillery barrages.
- Manage your squads by resting, refitting, and upgrading them between battles, Follow each soldier as he progresses from green neophyte to seasoned veteran and advance in rank to command more units.
- Create your own “what if” scenarios with Close Combat III’s enhanced Scenario Editor. Craft single or multi-map battle and set deployment zones, objective locations, requisition points, and available units.
Unique artificial intelligence that affects every individual soldier by:
- Modeling realistic soldier psychological profiles during combat
- Experiencing the effects of strength, ability, and morale
- Rallying around new commander units on the battlefield
- Returning fire when fired upon, and zeroing in on targets
- Adapt strategies to counter your playing style
Accurately depicts WWII squad-level warfare, including:
- True line-of-sight and line-of-fire game play with elevation effects for terrain and buildings
- Direct and indirect fire with limited ammunition
- Ability to protect your men in buildings, pillboxes, and trenches
- Vehicle facings that affect armor protection
- Continuity from battle to battle, including destroyed terrain and burnt wrecks
Go head to head with other desktop commanders on the Internet Gaming Zone. LAN and modem play also included.
Click to view bigger versions
Pentium 133 or greater
Windows 95 or Windows 98
32 MB of RAM
60 MB of hard drive space
Quad-speed CD-ROM drive or greater
Super VGA video card supporting 800×600 high color (16 bit) resolution
Sound Card and speakers recommended
28.8k modem or greater required for head-to-head play
Internet access required for Internet play (compatible with MSN Gaming Zone)